Frequently Asked Questions
Why are Sandtastik® products safe for use in child care centers, schools, therapeutic practices, hospitals, churches, homes, art clubs, etc?
At Sandtastik®, we go through great lengths to ensure that our sand products, and all other materials, are safe for use by people of all ages all around the world and compliant with CPSIA standards. All of our items are submitted to the prestigious toxicology testing labs at Duke University School of Medicine in Durham, NC. All plastic items are sent to CPSC-accredited labs for complete analysis for lead and phthalates. The results of these tests are then forwarded to the Art & Creative Materials Institute (ACMI) for mandatory industry certification.
Look for this seal on our products:
This certification seal is to ensure that all packaging, labelling and its contents are in compliance with the highest safety standard.
Sandtastik® Sparkling White Play Sand, Therapy Play Sand, Classic Colored Sand
What do we mean when we say that our sand contains no free silica or quartz?
Firstly, let’s examine sand found in dunes and on beaches. Toxicologists have proven that some of those tiny little grains of sand may contain known natural carcinogens. A carcinogen is a substance that causes cancer. Substances like silica and quartz through prolonged exposure to skin, inhalation or ingestion have potential health risks. Sandtastik sand is made from the feldspar family of rock which does not contain any carcinogens. It is 100% pure safe sand.
Do Sandtastik® products contain any of the asbestos minerals including tremolite asbestos?
Asbestos has 6 types of minerals that are widely known as carcinogenic. One of them being tremolite asbestos : a toxic needle-like fiber small enough to inhale when airborne. Any product containing even traces of these minerals run a very high health risk and would be denied access to the open market long before it hit the shelf in a local store. Sandtastik®’s complete line of products contains no such traces of these harmful minerals.
What are the black flecks in Sandtastik® sand?
All Sandtastik® sand products are produced from the feldspar rock and crushed to our specifications. You may notice tiny black flecks in the sand which cannot be removed or colored. They are part of the rock formation and are non-organic. These dark grains are veins that run through the rock as a natural feature.
Sandtastik has had the sand tested by a CPSC-accredited lab and results show that there are no organic materials or insects in the sand.
Will Sandtastik® Sparkling White Play Sand grow mould over time when it is moist/wet?
Sand is an inert material which is not capable of absorbing any fluids. Should mould be present in your outdoor sandbox, bacteria has been thriving on a high moisture environment and is not receiving adequate drainage. This can occur when using solid material (plastic, wood) for the bottom of your sandbox. Be sure to drill out a few drainage holes to encourage a healthy sand play environment.
How often should I wash Sandtastik® Sparkling White Play Sand?
Periodically washing the sand is optional. We understand that over the natural course of time there is bound to be foreign matter, liquid, etc introduced into your sand environment. Sand is inert and won't absorb so if you want to add a few drops of dish soap or bleach to the water to clean off the sand, go ahead. Just use a little.
If you have accumulated more find sand grains than you like, just use the same process and the fine particles will float to the top of the water and just dispose of them.
We recommend following the step-by-step cleaning procedure outlined here: How To Clean Sandtastik® Sparkling White Play Sand
Should an outdoor sandbox use Sandtastik® Sparkling White Play Sand?
Yes! Sandtastik® Sparkling White Play Sand can be used indoors or outdoors. Special care to ensure proper drainage must be used on outdoor sandboxes. Please see Building an outdoor sandbox? for more details.
Building an outdoor sandbox? How to ensure the sand is properly drained
Sandtastik® Sparkling White Play Sand is inert and will not absorb any moisture, however any water or liquid that collects at the bottom of many plastic-bottom sandboxes from rain or condensation can allow bacteria to grow. You can remove the moisture by letting the sun evaporate it, or provide drain holes in the bottom of the sandbox. If you add drain holes, you could use landscape fabric under the sand if the sandbox is on the grass, but you can just put the sandbox on the cement porch and make sure the moisture has a route away from the sandbox. Giving the sand a stir will allow the moisture to escape from the heat of the sun rays.
What are the differences between Sparkling White Play Sand vs Therapy Play Sand?
The short and sweet answer to this is the size of the sand grains. Sparkling White Play Sand is fine, soft, and moldable while Therapy Play Sand is a more coarse version with all finer grains sifted out (no dust).
- Both can be used for indoor and outdoor; in sand & water tables, sand trays and sandboxes
- Both are made from feldspar rock, only sifted differently
- Both have no free silica, no crystalline silica, no quartz, no asbestos, no wheat or gluten, no nuts or seeds or any other potentially hazardous impurities.
Here's a side-by-side comparison of technical details:
|Grain Size||0.08 - 0.4 mm|
|Made from||Feldspar Rock|
|Grain Size||0.3 - 0.85 mm|
|Made from||Feldspar Rock|
Does Sandtastik® have a drop ship program for online retailers?
Yes we do! Add any of Sandtastik®’s collection of fine products to your online retail store. We welcome your business efforts by offering you:
- 100% FREE signup (NO monthly fees, NO final value fees or percentage of sales revenue)
- Web-ready images & keyword-rich descriptions
- Order fulfillment within 24-48 hours
- One-on-one consultation
Develop your complimentary product lineup with Sandtasik® Drop Ship Program.
Details & application here: www.sandtastikproducts.com
How are Sandtastik® products used in schools?
Sandtastik offers exciting, educational activities for kids to dive into and create:
- Have a sand layering party in your classroom with Sandtastik®’s Party Pack.
- Kids will enjoy creating with Sandtastik®’s Class Pack - a rainbow of sand colors for arts & crafts time.
- 100% safe, natural sparkling White Play Sand for sand & water tables, sand boxes, sensory tables and at home.
How are Sandtastik® products used in Festivals?
Ask any child what some of their favorite festival activities are and we’re positive that the booth with the colored sand will rank near the top. It is not uncommon to be waiting in line just to put sand in a bottle. That’s because our tiny twinkling grains are bursting with vibrant color! Choose your bottle and scoop in all your favorite sand colors right to the rim. Cap it and presto! A sand art masterpiece made by you! This treasure lasts a lifetime, unless you drop it or shake it too hard :)
Looking for an exciting party or group activity? Bring home the fun with Sandtastik® Sand Art Activity Kits. All-in-one kits packed full of fun! Various sizes available.
When using the Flower Drying Art Silica Gel, is it possible to dry a whole bouquet without separating the flowers and cutting off their stems?
The stems don't need to be cut off, but the flowers need to be separated from each other because each type of flower requires a different amount of time to dry.
Reviving Air-Dry Clay:
- Remove your clay from the bag it came in and place it in a large, sealable plastic bag.
- Sprinkle the clay with just a few drops of water. Using your hand or a spray bottle, apply a small amount of water to the clay. Don't add too much, or the clay will become sticky and unusable.
- Seal the bag and set aside. Let the water and clay sit for a few minutes to absorb the moisture. Double check the seal to make sure it is air-tight and none of the moisture is able to leak out.Keep it away from heat or direct sunlight during this process, as both can cause moisture to evaporate.
- Remove the air-dry clay from the bag. After waiting 5-10 minutes, open the bag and remove the clay, checking the moisture content as you do so. Does it have more spring to it? Twist and knead your clay, checking for easy movement and manipulation.
- If needed, return the air-dry clay to the bag. After returning your clay to a sealed bag, add a few more drops of water. Seal and set aside once more, leaving the water to seep into the clay for up to 30 minutes.
- Remove the clay again and knead. If the clay has become malleable, success! Continue to store it in a sealed bag or container to prevent it from drying out in the future.If you cannot get to your clay regularly, consider storing it in a moist environment, such as the bathroom or kitchen, to keep moisture contained.If the clay remains hard or difficult to work with, it may be past the point of saving, and will need to be replaced.
How can I prevent Air Dry Clay from drying out?
Place the excess of clay inside a tightly closed Ziploc plastic bag, then store it in a tightly sealed container. Whatever container you use, you want to be able to keep the moisture level of the clay at the same place as when you first got your clay. It's important to store your clay in a comfortable room temperature location. Your clay can freeze if it gets too cold or can melt if it gets too hot. So keeping your extra stash of clay in a dark cool environment is ideal. If when using the clay again you notice that it has hardened slightly, it is enough to spray water on the clay, moisten your fingers and start modeling it to reactivate it.