SKILL LEVEL: Difficulty 1-5 (1 is easiest): 2
TIME TO COMPLETE: 2 hours not including dry time
- Magic Color Plaster Casting Boys Kit, mold #7 (DINOSAUR MOLD, 1 RED PLASTER)
- Unfinished wooden plaque
- Plastic zip-lock baggie (sandwich size)
- Acrylic paint: yellow, light blue, royal blue, green, red
- Wiggle eyes
- Container for water
- Paper towels
- Small plastic bucket
- Paint Brushes
- Read and follow manufacturer’s instructions for all products used.
- Be creative, come up with your own ideas on how to decorate your finished pieces, or use the photo as a guide when decorating your projects.
- When it’s clean-up time, use a small bucket or container of water to clean your hands and the molds instead of the sink. Do not expose sink or plumbing to plaster or plaster residue.
STEP 1 Following directions as given on package, place the Magic Color Plaster in a plastic baggie. Next pour the water in the baggie one tablespoon at a time and zip it shut. Watch the magic color change happen as you mix and knead plaster together with fingertips until there are no lumps and mixture is smooth.
STEP 2 Use scissors and cut off a .” of the end of one corner of the baggie and squeeze plaster out of baggie into the mold, filling it; discard baggie. Lift mold and tap gently several times on work surface to release air bubbles. Allow 30 minutes for plaster to set up.
STEP 3 While plaster mold is drying, paint the wooden plaque with two coats of yellow allowing drying in between. Then hand letter or stencil saying in place “ Monsters keep out!” in red and trim edge in red as well. Let dry.
STEP 4 When plaster has set, carefully remove dinosaur from mold by gently flexing plastic mold back and forth, until plaster piece releases. Wash off molds in a bucket of water with soap and water until clean. Pat molds dry with paper towels or rags.
STEP 5 Paint dinosaur by adding blue and green details and red polka dots, or as desired. Allow it to dry and then glue to front of plaque. Let dry.
STEP 6 Glue wiggle eyes in place.