TIME TO COMPLETE: 2 hours not including dry time
- Magic Color Plaster Casting Girl’s Kit Mold #4 (DRAGONFLY MOLD, 1 YELLOW PLASTER)
- 30” Green suede cord
- 8” Silver plated chain
- 4 small flower shaped charms
- Four 6mm jump rings
- Silver colored wire 22 gauge or smaller
- Plastic zip-lock baggie (sandwich size)
- Acrylic paint: purple, pink green, yellow
- Purple glitter
- Container for water
- Wire Cutters
- Round nosed pliers
- Paper towels
- Small plastic bucket
- Paint Brushes
- Drill & 1/16th drill bit
- This project calls for an adult to drill small holes in the tips of the dragonfly’s wings. A different method (not shown) is to simply wrap wire around t he Dragonfly’s wings instead of piercing them.
- Read and follow manufacturer’s instructions for all products used.
- Be creative, come up with your own ideas on how to decorate your finished pieces, or use the photo as a guide when decorating your projects.
- When it’s clean-up time, use a small bucket or container of water to clean your hands and the molds instead of the sink. Do not expose sink or plumbing to plaster or plaster residue.
STEP 1 Following directions as given on package, place the Magic Color Plaster in a plastic baggie. Next pour the water in the baggie one tablespoon at a time and zip it shut. Watch the magic color change happen as you mix and knead plaster together with fingertips until there are no lumps and mixture is smooth.
STEP 2 Use scissors and cut off a .” of the end of one corner of the baggie and squeeze plaster out of baggie into the mold, filling it; discard baggie. Lift mold and tap gently several times on work surface to release air bubbles. Allow 30 minutes for plaster to set up.
STEP 3 While plaster mold is drying, use wire cutters and cut the chain into two 4” lengths. Cut the suede cord in half.
STEP 4 Loop silver wire through one end of one 4” section of chain, twist, and then lay chain at end of suede cord. Wrap securely to one end of suede cord. Cut wire, trim and tuck wire’s end underneath itself. Repeat this step using second piece of chain and second piece of suede cord.
STEP 5 Use round nosed pliers to open jump ring and attach two flower charms to the chain section, spacing them evenly. Repeat on other half of necklace.
STEP 6 When plaster has set, carefully remove the dragonfly from mold by gently flexing plastic mold back and forth, until plaster piece releases. Wash off molds in a bucket of water with soap and water until clean. Pat molds dry with paper towels or rags.
STEP 7 Paint dragonfly by adding purple, green, pink and yellow details or as desired. Let dry. Dab glue to center section of body and add glitter. Allow it to dry and then have adult carefully drill a hole through each of the dragonfly’s wings at the tip. Or wrap wire around wings to avoid drilling and use wire to attach wings to the end of chains.